Lewis, Samuel, -1865, A topographical dictionary of Scotland , 1846
- A topographical dictionary of Scotland : comprising the several counties, islands, cities, burgh and market towns, parishes, and principal villages, with historical and statistical descriptions : embellished with a large map of Scotland, and engravings of the seals and arms of the different burghs and universities / by Samuel Lewis.
- London : S. Lewis and co., 1846.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill. ; 30 x 23 cm. + atlas.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA865 L48 1846+ OveriszeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA865 L48 1846+ OveriszeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The map was engraved by John Dower and etched by T. Harwood; after Frederick A. Carrington. Hills were drawn by G.W. Carrington.
View of Melrose Abbey engraved by Henry Griffiths; after Thomas Allom.
The atlas consists of a sectional map of Scotland, scale 5 miles to the inch, with a view of Melrose Abbey. Map has title that reads: A map of Scotland, divided into counties shewing the principal roads ...
BAC: British Art Center has 2 copies. Copy 1 is complete in 2 v. with atlas bound separately. Copy 2 is incomplete: contains atlas only, with v. 1 & 2 lacking. Map is in 3 parts, mounted in separate volumes.
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1846.Etching -- Specimens -- 1846.Lewis (Samuel) and Co. -- Publisher.Scotland -- Gazetteers.Scotland -- Maps.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.