[The travellers guide : being the best mapp of the kingdom of England and principalaty [sic] of Wales. Wherein are delineated 3000 towns and villages more than in any mapp yet extent besides ye notations of bridges & rivers &c. To which is added ye direct and cross roads according to Mr. Ogilby's late survey. / Described by C: Saxton and now carefully corrected with new additions by Phillip Lea].
- Additional Title(s):
Map of the kingdom of England and principality of Wales
- [London] : Sold by Phillip Lea, Globemaker at ye Atlas and Hercules in Cheapside nere the corner of Fryday Street in London, [1686?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 atlas ( sheets) : hand colored maps ; sheets 28 x 69 cm, and smaller
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A G 9Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [1:390,000].
- This example was made as a travelling atlas, in portmanteau format. Only the essential sheets have been included in order to keep it as compact as possible. Sheet with the cartouche is wanting so title has been inferred from the 1687 edition (as given in British Museum Catalogue).
Phillip Lea considerably reworked Saxton's maps, changing coast lines & river courses, adding roads & distances from maps of John Ogilby, etc.
From Lea's address this appears to be the fourth state of this edition. British Museum Catalogue gives date of this state as "[c. 1686]."
Engraved by Sutton Nicholls.
Shows boundaries, rivers, roads, woods, fens and settlements ; sea decorated with ships and monsters.
Relief shown pictorially.
British Museum. Catalogue of printed maps, charts and plans, vol. 8, column 870
BAC: British Art Center copy is bound in limp vellum for rolling.
- Subject Terms:
- England -- Early works to 1800 -- Maps.Wales -- Early works to 1800 -- Maps.
Etchings -- 1686.
Engravings -- 1686.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.