Rocque, John, -1762, Proposals , 1745]
- Proposals / by John Rocque ... ; for engraving and printing by subscription a new and accurate map of the country adjacent to the cities and liberties of London, Westminster, and borough of Southwark : from an exact survey thereof, begun in 1741, and now finished : the engraving is now in hand, and the whole will be finished with all possible expedition.
- [London : J. Rocque, 1745].
- Physical Description:
- 1 sheet ( p.) : map ; 45 x 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A G 12Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Ms. note on bottom reads: "This map has been survey'd by James Moreau, ingeneer ... If gentlemen subscribe to him, they shall be as well served."
BAC: British Art Center copy is bound with the 1747 atlas ed. of the 16-sheet map (with t.p. title that reads: An exact survey of the cities of London and Westminster, the borough of Southwark, with the country near ten miles round). Also bound with: A new map containing the towns, gentlemen's houses, villages, and other remarks round London / Herman Moll. London, [ca. 1700].
The volume apparently belonged to John Rocque (cf. ms. note at front).
Prospectus for John Rocque's 16-sheet map that was published in 1746 with title: An exact survey of the city's of London, Westminster, ye borough of Southwark and the country near ten miles round.
Map engraved by Richard Parr.
- Subject Terms:
- London (England) -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Potter, P. -- Bookplate.Rocque, John, -1762 -- Provenance.Thompson, Henry Yates, 1838-1928 -- Bookplate.
- Etchings -- 1745.
Maps -- England -- London -- 1745.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.