The ornaments of churches considered : with a particular view to the late decoration of the parish church of St. Margaret, Westminster : to which is subjoined, an appendix, containing, the history of the said church, an account of the altar-piece, and stained glass window erected over it : a state of the prosecution [!] it has occasioned, and other papers ...
- Oxford : Printed by W. Jackson, sold by R. and J. Dodsley ..., J. Walter ..., J. Fox ..., 1761.
- Physical Description:
- 2 p., iv, , v-xiv, 15-143, 38, 8 p.,  leaves of plates : ill., port. ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNK2190 H6 1761+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsNK2190 H6 1761+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Plates drawn and engraved by Anthony Walker.
British Art Center has 2 copies. Copy 1 has another copy of the Postscript (8 p.) bound in at end and the bookplate of Henry Thomas Ellacombe.
Copy 2 is imperfect: Postscript (8 p.) at end is wanting.
Edited, with introduction and postscript, by Thomas Wilson, to whom the work is ascribed by several authorities.
- Subject Terms:
- Church decoration and ornament.Dodsley, R. and J. -- Publisher.Ellacombe, Henry Thomas, 1790-1885 -- Bookplate.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1761.Fox, J. -- Publisher.Jackson, W. -- Printer.Saint Margaret's Church (Westminster, London, England)Walter, J. -- Publisher.
YCBA Collections Search
Hole, William, 1710-1791, The ornaments of churches considered , 1761
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.