Westmonasterium, or, The history and antiquities of the abbey church of St. Peters Westminster : containing an account of its ancient and modern building ... : with ye copies of ancient Saxon charters &c. and other writings relating to it : together with a particular history of the lives of the abbats, collected from ancient mss. of that convent, and historians, & the lives of the deans to this time : and also, a survey of the church and cloysters, taken in the year 1723, with the monuments there, which, with several prospects of ye church & other remarkable things, are curiously engraven by the best hands ... / by Mr. John Dart ; to which is added, Westminster Abbey, a poem, by the same author.
- Additional Title(s):
History and antiquities of the abbey church of St. Peters Westminster
- London : Printed and sold by James Cole, Joseph Smith ..., Tho. Bowles ..., Jer. Batley ..., Thomas Taylor ..., John Bowles ..., and by Andrew Johnstone ..., [between 1723 and 1727].
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill., ports, plan ; 40 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A D 82Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A D 82Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- British Art Center has 2 copies. Copy 1 is 2 v. bound in 1. Copy 2 is bound in 2 separate vols. and is a large paper copy (51 cm.).
BEIN Z45 0015: 2 volumes bound in 1 (40 cm). Armorial bookplate: William Clark.
Plates engraved by James Cole, John Faber, and James Schynvoet; some after John Dowling.
Dates from Adams.
Vignettes; initials; tail-pieces.
"The permanent interest of this book lies in its illustrations of the funeral monuments as they appeared before being subjected to the damage ... [of the last 160 years]."--Adams, p. 59.
Each volume contains a list of subscribers, together with their coats of arms.
Adams, B. London illustrated, 27
- Subject Terms:
- Abbots.Batley, Jer. -- Publisher.Bowles, John, 1701-1779 -- Publisher.Bowles, Thomas -- Publisher.Clark, William -- Bookplate.Cole, James -- Publisher.Johnstone, Andrew -- Publisher.Sepulchral monuments -- England -- London.Smith, Joseph -- Publisher.Taylor, Thomas -- Publisher.Westminster Abbey -- Poetry.Westminster Abbey.
- Mezzotints -- [between 1723 and 1727].
Engravings -- [between 1723 and 1727].
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Dart, John, -1730, Westmonasterium, or, The history and antiquities of the abbey church of St. Peters Westminster , [between 1723 and 1727]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.