Society of Artists of Great Britain, A catalogue of the pictures, sculptures, models, drawings, prints, &c. , 1760-1791
- A catalogue of the pictures, sculptures, models, drawings, prints, &c. / Society of Artists of Great Britain.
- [London] : The Society, 1760-1791.
- Physical Description:
- 23 v. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN5055 S6 C3 copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsN5055 S6 C3 copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Reference LibraryN5055.S6 C3 1760A (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- BEIN 1980 S2: Bound in 1 v.
BAC : BAC has 2 copies of 1761 catalogue (2nd exhibition). Copy 1 is imperfect: frontispiece wanting.
BAC : British Art Center copy incomplete: catalogues for 1760 (1st exhibition), 1783 (21st), 1790-1791 (22nd-23rd) are wanting.
Plates in 1761 & 1762 catalogues (2nd-3rnd exhibition) by Charles Grignion; after William Hogarth and Samuel Wale.
See Paulson, R. Hogarth's graphic work, nos. 243-244 for description of frontispiece and plate in 1761 catalogue. BAC copy differs slightly from versions described there.
BAC,REF copy: Photocopy of volumes in Walpole Library.
Exhibition held annually from 1760-1778 (1st-19th exhibitions). There was no exhibition in 1779, the 20th was held in 1780, no exhibitions 1781-1782, the 21st in 1783, no exhibitions 1784-1789, the 22nd in 1790, and the 23rd (the last) exhibition was held in 1791.
Title varies slightly.
1762: Preface (4 p.) by Samuel Johnson.
Graves, A. Society of Artists of Great Britain.
- Subject Terms:
- Art, British -- Exhibitions.Art, Modern -- 17th century -- Great Britain -- Exhibitions.Art, Modern -- 18th century -- Great Britain -- Exhibitions.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1761-1780.Society of Artists of Great Britain -- Publisher.