A plan of the cities of London and Westminster, the borough of Southwark, and the contiguous buildings : with all the new roads that have been made on account of Westminster Bridge, and the new buildings and alterations to the present year MDCCLV / engraved from an actual survey made by John Rocque ; this plan extends from east to west near six miles, and from north to south a little more than three, and contains about 11,500 acres of ground.
- [London] : Published by the proprietors of the original survey, John Pine, John Tinney, and Thomas Bowles, 1755.
- Physical Description:
- 1 map on 8 sheets ; 132 x 216 cm., sheets 67 x 54 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B G 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [ca. 1:4,873].
- Map engraved by Robert Benning; lettering by Richard William Seale.
In portfolio, 69 cm.
Relief shown by hachures and land form drawings.
- Subject Terms:
- Bowles, Thomas -- Publisher.London (England) -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.London (England) -- Suburbs and environs -- Maps -- To 1800.Pine, John -- Publisher.Southwark (London, England) -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Tinney, John -- Publisher.Westminster (London, England) -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.
YCBA Collections Search
Rocque, John, -1762, A plan of the cities of London and Westminster, the borough of Southwark, and the contiguous buildings , 1755
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.