Greenough, George Bellas, 1778-1855, A geological map of England & Wales , 1819-1820
A geological map of England & Wales / by G.B. Greenough ...
- London : Published under the direction of the Geological Society by Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme & Brown, 1819-1820.
- Physical Description:
- 1 map on 4 sheets : hand col., mounted on linen ; 192 x 162 cm., sheets 96 x 81 cm., folded to 32 x 27 cm., in portfolio 36 x 28 cm. + 1 book (, 17 p. ; 33 cm.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG5751 C57 G7 1819+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- BEIN Covers 32ca +1819: Inscription on front wrapper of text, "Yale College Library."
Engraved by S. Neele and Son; after Thomas Webster.
Map is dated 1819.
"This map is accompanied by an explanatory memoir." Its title reads: Memoir of a geological map of England : to which are added an alphabetical index to the hills and a list of the hills arranged according to counties. London : Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, 1820.
This work is based on: A delineation of the strata of England and Wales, with part of Scotland / William Smith. London : J. Cary, 1815.
Smith, D. Victorian maps, p. 60.
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1819-1920.Geology -- Great Britain -- Maps.Geology, Stratigraphic.Gibson, William Sidney, 1814-1871 -- Bookplate.Great Britain -- Description and travel.Yale College (1718-1887). Library -- Inscription.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.