A map of England & Wales : divided into counties, parliamentary divisions & dioceses, shewing the principal roads, railways, rivers & canals and the seats of the nobility and gentry, with the distancew of each town from the General Post Office, London reduced from the survey made under the direction of ... the Board of Ordnance to a scale of five miles to an inch and corrected to the present time / drawn by R. Creighton ; engraved by J. Dower.
- London : S. Lewis & Co. ..., 1839.
- Physical Description:
- 1 map on 4 sheets : hand col., mounted on linen ; 202 x 168 cm., sheets 106 x 90 cm., folded to 22 x 13 cm., in covers 23 x 14 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG5750 C7 1839Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [1:316,800].
- Shows churches (indicating whether their livings are rectories, vicarages, perpetual curacies, chapels of ease or donatives), parks, mail roads and turnpikes.
Insets: Scilly Islands -- Table showing the distances by sea from the principal ports of England
Relief shown by hachures.
Title on spine reads: Lewis' Map of England and Wales.
Issued in 4 sheets, each folded into a cover.
- Subject Terms:
- England -- Maps.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1839.Lewis (S.) & Co. -- Publisher.Wales -- Maps.
- [pt. 1.] N.-E. division
- [pt.2.] S.-E. division
- [pt.3.] S.-W. division
- [pt. 4.] N.-W. division