Lily, George, active 1528-1559, Britanniae insulae quae nunc Angliae et Scotiae regna continet cum Hibernia adiacente, MDLVIII 
Britanniae insulae quae nunc Angliae et Scotiae regna continet cum Hibernia adiacente.
- Romae : [s.n.], MDLVIII 
- Physical Description:
- 1 map ; 38.2 x 52.3 cm, on sheet 42.8 x 55.6 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 12 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [ca. 1:2,800,000] -- (W 11°0ʹ0ʺ--E 4°30ʹ0ʺ/N 62°0ʹ0ʺ--N 49°0ʹ0ʺ)
- A re-engraving, at about three-quarters size, of George Lily's map of the British Isles (first published in 1546), with a few minor alterations. As in the original version, the present map is oriented so that Britain lies on its side with its western part and Ireland at the top of the map. The coats of arms in the 1546 edition are omitted here.
Engraved by Sebastiano di Re.
Shirley, R.W. Early printed maps of the British Isles, 1477-1650 (1991 edition), 63
BAC: British Art Center copy is uncolored. Bound with: [An atlas of England and Wales] / Christopher Saxton. [London : s.n., 1590?]
- Subject Terms:
- British Isles -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.
- Maps -- British Isles -- 1558.
Maps -- Great Britain -- 1558.
Engravings -- 1558.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.