Britania insula quae duo regna continet Angliam et Scotiam cum Hibernia adiacente / Ferando de Berteli exc. i56i.
- Additional Title(s):
Britania insvla qvae duo regna continet Angliam et Scotiam cvm Hibernia adiacente
- Venetiis : [Ferando Bertelli], anno MDLXII 
- Physical Description:
- 1 map ; 47.0 x 34.2 cm, on sheet 53.2 x 40.0 cm.
- Unable to reach service. Holdings currently not available
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [ca. 1:3,100,000] -- (W 11°0ʹ0ʺ--E 4°30ʹ0ʺ/N 62°0ʹ0ʺ--N 49°0ʹ0ʺ)
- A re-engraving, at a smaller size, of George Lily's map of the British Isles (first published in 1546), with a few minor alterations. In this version, the orientation is rotated so that north is at the top of the map. The present version is similar to that issued in 1556, at Rome, with a different placement of descriptive text, slightly less topographical information, and without the making of cathedral towns.
Relief shown pictorially.
Shirley, R.W. Early printed maps of the British Isles, 1477-1650 (1991 edition), 70
Tooley, R.V. Maps in Italian atlases of the sixteenth century (Imago Mundi 3 (1939): 12-47), 272
BAC: British Art Center copy is uncolored.
- Subject Terms:
- British Isles -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.
- Maps -- British Isles -- 1562.
Maps -- Great Britain -- 1562.
Engravings -- 1562.
YCBA Collections Search
Lily, George, active 1528-1559, Britania insula quae duo regna continet Angliam et Scotiam cum Hibernia adiacente , anno MDLXII 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.