An exact surveigh of the streets, lanes and churches comprehend[e]d within the ruins of the city of London : first described in six plats 10 Decemr. Ao Dom. 1666 : by the order & directions of the Right Honorable the Lord Mayor, aldermen, & common councell of the said city / Iohn Leake, Iohn Iennings, Willm. Marr, Willm. Leybourn, Thomas Streete, Richard Shortgrave, surveyors ; & reduced into one intire plat by Iohn Leake, for the use of the commisioners for the regulation of streets, lanes, &ct.
- [London] : [George Vertue], 
- Physical Description:
- 1 map on 2 sheets ; 106 x 125 cm, sheets 55 x 72 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A G 11Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View a digital version in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale approximately 1:1,837 -- (W 0°06ʹ03ʺ--W 0°04ʹ42ʺ/N 51°30ʹ57ʺ--N 51°30ʹ30ʺ).
- BAC: Hand colored. British Art Center copy bound with: To Martin Folkes ... this plan of the cities of London and Westminster and borough of Southwark. London : John Tinney, 1749.
BEIN 32 L84 1667A: Imperfect: eastern sheet wanting. Manuscript annotation: This is apparently 1/5 [1/2?] of the so-called Faithorne map, published by Newcourt after Fire of 1666 and purporting to show London in 1658.
Shows extent of Great Fire of 1666.
Engraved by George Vertue, probably from Leake's original sheets published in 1667, and dedicated to the Society of Antiquaries.
Coordinates not present on map and are approximated.
Inset along top of map are 7 views of buildings. Also inset is a small index map, with title: A plan of the city of London and Westminster.
Howgego, J. Printed maps of London (2nd ed.), 21(a)
- Subject Terms:
- London (England) -- Description and travel.London (England) -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Vertue, George -- Publisher.
- Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1723.
Annotations (Provenance) -- 18th century.
YCBA Collections Search
Leake, John, An exact surveigh of the streets, lanes and churches comprehend[e]d within the ruins of the city of London , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.