A map of the kingdom of Ireland : divided into provinces, counties and baronies, shewing the archbishopricks, bishopricks, cities, boroughs, market towns, villages, barracks, mountains, lakes, bogs, rivers, bridges, ferries, passes : also, the great, the branch and the by post roads, together with the inland navigation, &c. / by John Rocque ...
- [London] : Printed for Robt. Sayer, opposite Fetter Lane, Fleet Street, [between 1762 and 1773]
- Physical Description:
- 1 map on 2 sheets ; 120 x 188 cm., sheets 67 x 108 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B G 4View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Related Content:
- View a digital version in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database (327 1785, Copy 1)
View a digital version in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database (327 1785,Copy 2)
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [ca. 1:500,000]. -- (W 10°40ʹ00ʺ--W 5°04ʹ00ʺ/N 55°26ʹ00ʺ--N 51°25ʹ00ʺ).
- British Art Center copy laid into portfolio of Rocque maps and estate plans. Borders between counties are hand-colored.
BEIN BrSides Double Folio 2017 12: Imperfect: southern sheet wanting; brittle and chipped, with some loss of text. Cartouche and borders between counties are hand-colored.
Relief shown pictorially.
Originally printed on 4 sheets.
Title cartouche depicts engraved stone, cow, and reclining figure holding a peat spade.
Shows boundaries, rivers, lochs, roads with distances, woods and settlements.
Includes brief notes on the Irish history and political divisions.
Inset: The sea coasts of Great Britain and Ireland. Scale approximately 1:4,500,000.
Robert Sayer traded alone & at this address 1751-1774 and 1783-1792 (cf. Maxted, p. l99).
- Subject Terms:
- Ireland -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Sayer, Robert -- Publisher.
- Engraving -- [17--].
Etchings -- [17--].
YCBA Collections Search
Rocque, John, -1762, A map of the kingdom of Ireland , [between 1762 and 1773]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.