A plan of St. Philips Castle, on the island of Minorca : with its fortifications & the entrance of the harbour of Port Mahon / by Jno. Armstrong ...
- [London : J. Rocque], 1756.
- Physical Description:
- 1 map ; 66 x 45 cm., on sheet 75 x 55 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A G 14 Copy 1View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A G 14 Copy 2View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [ca. 1:4,800].
- British Art Center has 2 copies.
Copy 2 is a later issue with some engraved additions showing the "French batterys which were erected during the siege" of 1756 when France took control of the island.
Both copies are bound with: Plan de la ville et foubourgs [sic] de York / Peter Chassereau. [London] : J. Rocque, 1750. This vol. supposedly belonged to John Rocque.
Dedication signed: Jno. Rocque.
Relief shown by hachures.
- Subject Terms:
- Etching -- Specimens -- 1756.France -- History, Military -- 1715-1789.Minorca (Spain) -- History -- Siege, 1756.Minorca (Spain) -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Rocque, John -- Publisher.Rocque, John, -1762 -- Provenance.St. Philip's Castle (Minorca)
YCBA Collections Search
Armstrong, John, -1758, A plan of St. Philips Castle, on the island of Minorca , 1756
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.