A plan of the city, and fortifications of Louisburg / from a survey made by Richard Gridley ... ; A plan of the city and harbour of Louisburg : with the French batteries that defended it, and those of the English, shewing that part of Gabarus Bay in which they landed, and the ground on which they encamped during the siege in 1745.
- [London] : Thos. Jefferys ..., 1757.
- Physical Description:
- 2 maps on 1 sheet ; 38 x 47 cm. and 38 x 45 cm., on sheet 54 x 69 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A G 14View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [ca. 1:3,600]. and Scale [ca. 1:20,500].
- This copy bound with: Plan de la ville et foubourgs [sic] de York / Peter Chassereau. [London] : J. Rocque, 1750. This vol. supposedly belonged to John Rocque.
Inset: A map of the Gabarus Bay, adjoyning to Louisburg.
Relief shown pictorially and by hachures; soundings in fathoms.
In 1745, Louisbourg was captured from the French by a New England force under William Pepperell.
- Subject Terms:
- Etching -- Specimens -- 1757.Jefferys, Thomas d. 1771 -- Publisher.Louisbourg (N.S.) -- Fortifications, military installations, etc. -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Louisbourg (N.S.) -- History -- Siege, 1745 -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Louisbourg (N.S.) -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Pepperrell, William, Sir, 1696-1759.Rocque, John, d. 1762 -- Provenance.
YCBA Collections Search
Gridley, Richard, 1711-1796, A plan of the city, and fortifications of Louisburg , 1757
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.