IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Biographical sketches of eminent persons, whose portraits form part of the Duke of Dorset's collection at Knole , 1795
Biographical sketches of eminent persons, whose portraits form part of the Duke of Dorset's collection at Knole : with a brief description of the place : embellished with a front and east view of Knole.
- London : Printed for John Stockdale, Piccadilly, 1795.
- Physical Description:
- xxiii, , 164,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 22 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA664.K56 W4 1795 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA664.K56 W4 1795 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Paul F. WalterView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Attributed to Henry Norton Willis.--Halkett & Laing.
Pages ii, iv, xx, xxiv blank.
Engravings by James Sparrow; after John Bridgman.
Halkett, S. Dictionary of anonymous and pseudonymous publications in the English language (3rd ed.), v. 1, p. 204
Holmes, M. Country house described, p. 152
English short title catalogue, T85701
Includes publisher's advertisements,  pages at end.
BEIN: Advertisements on  p. at end.
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 bound in gilt-tooled tree calf. Spine title: Description of Knole. Bookplates of Robert Westley Hall and Richard Blackett Beaumont.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in publisher's original pink paper covered boards; rebacked. Bookplates of Charles Gilbert, of East Bourn and Trelissick Library. Autograph: Charles Gilbert. "An epigram on the Sackvilles": two stanza poem mounted inside back cover.
- Subject Terms:
- Beaumont, Richard Blackett, b.1926- -- Bookplate.Errington, Rowland -- Bookplate.Gilbert, Charles -- Autograph.Gilbert, Charles -- Bookplate.Great Britain -- Biography -- Early works to 1800.Hall, Robert Westley -- Bookplate.Hilles, Frederick Whiley, 1900- -- Bookplate.Knole House (Kent, England) -- Art collectionsPainting -- Private collections -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Searle, J. -- Binding.Stockdale, John -- Publisher.Trelissick Libary -- Bookplate.
- Engravings -- 1795.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.