Zeiller, Martin, 1589-1661, Topographia Saxoniae Inferioris , MDCLIII 
- Topographia Saxoniae Inferioris : das ist Beschreibung der vornehmsten Stätte vnnd Plätz in dem hochl: Nider Sachs: Crayss.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Running title: Beschreibung dess NiederSächsischen Craisses.
- Franckfurt : Beÿ Matth. Merians S. Erbe[n], MDCLIII 
- Physical Description:
- 242 [i.e. 218],  p.,  leaves of plates (some folded) : ill. (engravings), maps, plans ; 39 cm (fol.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsD917.Z45 T67 1653+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Collection of views and maps of Lower Saxony and Cologne. Part of the 21-volume set of townbooks known collectively as the Topographia Germaniae, published between 1642 and 1688. The text was provided by the German geographer, Martin Zeiller. With over 2000 plates, the series was the most extensive publication of its kind. Most of the plates were engraved by Matthäus Merian (1593-1650) and his sons Matthäus (1621-1687) and Caspar (1627-1686).
Author's initials M.Z. at head of title.
Page nos. 29-39, 85-95, omitted in numbering: p. 28, double-numbered, has 40 added, p. 84, double-numbered, has 96 added.
Schuchhard, C. Die Zeiller-Merianschen Topographien, 51A
Includes indexes and errata.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in quarter leather and paste paper boards; edges untrimmed. Title label written in ms on spine. Similarly bound with the BAC copies of other titles in the Topographia Germaniae series (D917.Z45 T67+).
- Subject Terms:
- Cologne (Germany) -- Description and travel.Saxony, Lower -- Description and travel.
Maps -- Germany -- Cologne.
Maps -- Germany -- Lower Saxony.
Engravings -- 1653.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.