A narrative of the mission sent by the governor-general of India to the court of Ava in 1855 : with notices of the country, government, and people / by Captain Henry Yule ... ; with numerous illustrations.
- Additional Title(s):
Mission to the Court of Ava by Captn. Yule in 1855
- London : Smith, Elder and Co., 1858.
- Physical Description:
- vi, , 391,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill., maps ; 30 cm.+ 1 folded map.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS485.B81 Y85 1858+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Spine title, stamped in gilt, on publisher's cloth binding: Mission to the Court of Ava by Captn. Yule in 1855.
Lithographs (including some chromolithographs) after Henry Yule, Linnaeus Tripe, and Mr. C. Grant. Printed by Day & Son.
One folded map, printed in black and red, by John Arrowsmith; mounted on linen, in front endpaper pocket.
Publisher's cloth binding signed: M. Digby Wyatt.
Plates 2, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20, 22, and 25 are wholly or partly based on photographs.
Numerous wood engravings throughout the text.
Printed by C. Barclay, Castle St., Leicester Square.
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 408
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in publisher's gilt-stamped red cloth.
- Subject Terms:
- Barclay, C. -- Printer.British -- Burma -- History -- 19th century.Burma -- Description and travel.Burma -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Day & Son -- Printer.Photography -- 19th century.Smith, Elder and co. -- Publisher.
- Chromolithographs -- 1858.
Wood engravings -- 1858.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1858.
Lithographs -- 1858.
- Journal of the mission from the British frontier to Pagan-Myo
- The remains at Pagan
- Journal from Pagan to the capital
- Our residence at the aapital
- The city of Amarapoora
- Excursions in the environs of the capital
- Return of the mission from the capital to Rangoon
- Notes on the intercourse of the Burmese countries with Western nations up to the peace of Yandabo
- Notices of the history of Burma from the Peace of Yandabo (1826) to the revolution of 1853
- Some account of the religion of the Burmese
- The ministers of state, military affairs, revenues and currency
- On the map of Burmah, descriptive geography, and population
- The Shan States tributary to Burma.