Picturesque views on the river Medway : from the Nore to the vicinity of its source in Sussex : with observations on the public buildings and other works of art in its neighbourhood / by Samuel Ireland, author of "A picturesque tour through Holland, Brabant, and part of France", and of "Picturesque views on the river Thames.".
- London : Published by T. and J. Egerton, Whitehall, MDCCXCIII 
- Physical Description:
- , p. viii, , viii-xii, 206,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill., map ; 34 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.M4 I74 1793+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.M4 I74 1793+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Abbey, J.R. Scenery of Great Britain and Ireland in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 428
BEIN: Beinecke copy with each plate in colored and uncolored aquatint. (1984 +160)
MUDD Edea M46 793: 25 cm.
Added engraved t.p. engraved by Cornelis Apostool; after J. Mortimer.
With wood engraved vignettes.
Signatures: [a]⁴b⁴(-b4) A-2C⁴.
Selected exhibitions: "Paul Mellon's Legacy: A Passion for British Art" (Yale Center for British Art, 18 April-29 July, 2007).
English short title catalogue, T146600
Erratum: p. xii.
Advertisement on p.  at end.
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Large paper copy, with colored aquatints. Bookplate of J. Lane. 2
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 has the original watercolor drawings by Samuel Ireland bound in, paired immediately before or after the corresponding aquatint plate. The drawing of the hop pickers of Kent (opp. p. 97) includes a vignette in the margin that does not appear in the final version. From the library of J.R. Abbey, though this copy is not included in his Scenery. Bound in gilt-stamped calf binding, with inside dentelles, marbled endpapers, and gilt edges.
- Subject Terms:
- Hutton, Thomas -- Bookplate. (BEIN)Kent (England) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Kent (England) -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Lane, J. -- Bookplate. (BACRB Copy 1)Medway, River (England) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Medway, River (England) -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Morse, William Inglis, b. 1874 -- Bookplate (BEIN)
- Landscape drawings -- 1793.
Travel sketches -- England -- Kent -- 1793.
Aquatints -- 1793.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1793.
Wood engravings -- 1793.
YCBA Collections Search
Ireland, Samuel, -1800, Picturesque views on the river Medway , MDCCXCIII