- Additional Title(s):
- London : Webb, Millington, and Co., Wine Office Court, Fleet-St., also, Leeds and Otley, [between 1853 and 1862]
- Physical Description:
- 15 p. : ill. ; 18 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR3382 .J6 1853Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Verse in sixty-three stanzas; first line; John Gilpin was a citizen.
Attributed to William Cowper. Cf. Dictionary of National Biography.
First published under title: The journey of John Gilpin; later published under titles: Gilpin's Rig and The diverting history of John Gilpin and The history of John Gilpin.
Webb, Millington, and Co. was publishing at this address between 1853-1862. Cf. Brown.
Brown, Philip A.H. London publishers and printers, c. 1800-1870. London : British Library, 1982.
DNB, v.4, p. 1326
BAC: British Art Center copy in original printed wrapper.
- Subject Terms:
- Ballads, English.English wit and humor.Satire, English.
- Wood engravings -- Hand-colored -- [between 1853 and 1862].
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.