A treatise on painting / by Leonardo da Vinci ; faithfully translated from the original Italian, and now first digested under proper heads, by John Francis Rigaud, Esq. ; Academician of The Royal Academy of Painting at London, and also of The Academia Clementina at Bologna, and The Royal Academy at Stockholm ; illustrated with twenty-three copper-plates, and other figures ; to which is prefixed a new life of the author, drawn up from authentic materials till now inaccessible, by John Sidney Hawkins, Esq. F.A.S.
- Additional Title(s):
Trattato della pittura. English
- London : Printed for J. Taylor, at the Architectural Library, High Holborn, 1802.
- Physical Description:
- , xcv, , 236 p., 22 leaves of plates (1 folded) : ill., diagrs., port. ; 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND1471 .L4613 1802Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Jules D. Prown, MAH 1971Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Translation of: Trattato della pittura.
Frontispiece engraved by Thomas Milton.
Printed by S. Gosnell, Little Queen Street, Holborn, London.
Table of chapters: p. -236.
BEIN: Beinecke copy lacks p. [i]-[ii] (half title?) (1986 93)
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary gilt-tooled calf. Inscribed: Nathan Stolow 1956.  p. of publisher's advertisements at end not included in pagination.
- Subject Terms:
- Drawing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Drawing -- Technique.Leonardo, da Vinci, 1452-1519 -- Biography.Leonardo, da Vinci, 1452-1519.Painting -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Painting -- Technique.Stolow, Nathan -- Autograph, 1956.Taylor, J. -- Publisher.Willis, Elizabeth P. -- Autograph.
- Handbooks and manuals.
Engravings -- 1802.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.