Shirley Smith, Richard, Richard Shirley Smith , 2002
Richard Shirley Smith : the paintings & collages 1957 to 2000 / with a preface by Roy Strong.
- London : John Murray, in association with Studio House, 2002.
- Physical Description:
- 148 p. : ill. (chiefly col.), col. ports. ; 30 cm.
- Reference LibraryNJ18 Sm675 A12 2002 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.Rare Books and ManuscriptsMSS 17 Moss no. 28Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Roger W. MossAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Related Content:
- View finding aid for the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith
- "Limited edition of 140 copies signed and numbered by Shirley Smith ... Contained in a chemise are two wood engravings dating to 1961 signed and numbered by Shirley Smith: 'A Winter Night' and 'The Dark Tower,' both of which were first published in A Point of Departure by Joyce Finzi [Bain nos. 13 and 23]."--Moss.
Moss, R.W. Richard Shirley Smith, 28
Bain, I. Wood engravings of Richard Shirley Smith, 13, 23
BAC: British Art Center copy no. 82 of 140, signed and numbered by author. Bound in original quarter gray cloth and illustrated boards, in gray cloth-covered slipcase. Three items laid in: color prospectus for the publication; limited edition order form; and special pre-publication order form with note on verso to Roger W. Moss from Shirley Smith concerning the satisfactory reproduction of two acrylic paintings (from the collection of Roger W. Moss).
BAC: From the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith.
- Subject Terms:
- Collage -- Great Britain.John Murray -- Publisher.Painting -- Great Britain.Shirley Smith, Richard.Studio House -- Publisher.
- Wood engravings -- 2002.
- Preface / by Roy Strong
- Introduction / by Richard Shirley Smith
- I. Collage
- II. Pulcinella & The Commedia dell'Arte
- III. Theatrical figures & architecture
- IV. Surrealist influence
- V. Objects on the sand
- VI. Domestic still life
- VII. Classical fragments
- Various Essays: David Jones / by Richard Shirley Smith
- A painted clavichord / by Sir Evelyn Shuckburgh
- The painter as wood engraver / by Linda Saunders
- Review of the Ashmolean retrospective / by Simon Brett
- Still life with marble foot / by Ian Lowe
- Archaeological fragments / by Carolyn Leder
- Disasters of a decorator / by Richard Shirley Smith
- Appendix: List of main exhibitions
- List of trompe-l'oeil mural decorations
- List of main illustrated books
- Illustrated periodical and newspaper articles
- Illustrated sections in reference books
- Catalogue of framed works and three-dimensional objects.