Shirley Smith, Richard, Richard Shirley Smith , 2002
Richard Shirley Smith : the paintings & collages 1957 to 2000 / with a preface by Roy Strong.
- London : John Murray, in association with Studio House, 2002.
- Physical Description:
- 148 p. : ill. (chiefly col.), col. ports. ; 30 cm.
- Reference LibraryNJ18 Sm675 A12 2002 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.Rare Books and ManuscriptsMSS 17 Moss no. 28Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Roger W. MossView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- "Limited edition of 140 copies signed and numbered by Shirley Smith ... Contained in a chemise are two wood engravings dating to 1961 signed and numbered by Shirley Smith: 'A Winter Night' and 'The Dark Tower,' both of which were first published in A Point of Departure by Joyce Finzi [Bain nos. 13 and 23]."--Moss.
Moss, R.W. Richard Shirley Smith, 28
Bain, I. Wood engravings of Richard Shirley Smith, 13, 23
BAC: British Art Center copy no. 82 of 140, signed and numbered by author. Bound in original quarter gray cloth and illustrated boards, in gray cloth-covered slipcase. Three items laid in: color prospectus for the publication; limited edition order form; and special pre-publication order form with note on verso to Roger W. Moss from Shirley Smith concerning the satisfactory reproduction of two acrylic paintings (from the collection of Roger W. Moss).
BAC: From the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith.
- Subject Terms:
- Collage -- Great Britain.John Murray -- Publisher.Painting -- Great Britain.Shirley Smith, Richard.Studio House -- Publisher.
- Wood engravings -- 2002.
- Preface / by Roy Strong
- Introduction / by Richard Shirley Smith
- I. Collage
- II. Pulcinella & The Commedia dell'Arte
- III. Theatrical figures & architecture
- IV. Surrealist influence
- V. Objects on the sand
- VI. Domestic still life
- VII. Classical fragments
- Various Essays: David Jones / by Richard Shirley Smith
- A painted clavichord / by Sir Evelyn Shuckburgh
- The painter as wood engraver / by Linda Saunders
- Review of the Ashmolean retrospective / by Simon Brett
- Still life with marble foot / by Ian Lowe
- Archaeological fragments / by Carolyn Leder
- Disasters of a decorator / by Richard Shirley Smith
- Appendix: List of main exhibitions
- List of trompe-l'oeil mural decorations
- List of main illustrated books
- Illustrated periodical and newspaper articles
- Illustrated sections in reference books
- Catalogue of framed works and three-dimensional objects.