Fielding, Newton Limbird Smith, 1799-1856, What to sketch with, or, Hints on the use of coloured crayons, water colours, oil colours, black and white chalks, black-lead pencil , 
- What to sketch with, or, Hints on the use of coloured crayons, water colours, oil colours, black and white chalks, black-lead pencil : and the author's new method of preserving the light with composition / by Newton Fielding, formerly teacher of landscape painting in the family of His Late Majesty the King of the French.
- Alternate Title(s):
- What to sketch with
Hints on the use of coloured crayons, water colours, oil colours, black and white chalks, black-lead pencil
- London : Published by the author, 30, Clifton Road, Abbey Road, St. John's Wood, 
- Physical Description:
- 48 p. : ill. ; 19 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND1500 .H3713 1880Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Printed by Adams and Gee, Middle Street, Cloth Fair, London.
Date of publication from NSTC.
BM (compact edition), v. 9, p. 250, 949
Includes "Index of the must useful tints", a hand-colored frontispiece.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound with: Practical manual of painting, by Ernest Hareux. Second edition. (London : G. Rowney And Company, [between 1880 and1895]), and four other titles. The volume is inscribed: Enid Coombes: A present from her father. Also signed in ms below the above inscription: Mary Russell, Kathleen Russell.
- Subject Terms:
- Adams and Gee -- Printer.Artists' materials -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Color -- Study and teaching.Coombes, Enid -- Pres. inscription from her father.Drawing -- Study and teaching.Drawing -- Technique.Drawing books -- Specimens.Fielding, Newton, 1797-1856 -- Publisher.Lithography -- Specimens -- 1856.Russell, Kathleen -- Provenance.Russell, Mary -- Provenance.
- Drawing books -- England -- 19th century.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.