What to sketch with, or, Hints on the use of coloured crayons, water colours, oil colours, black and white chalks, black-lead pencil : and the author's new method of preserving the light with composition / by Newton Fielding, formerly teacher of landscape painting in the family of His Late Majesty the King of the French.
- Additional Title(s):
What to sketch with
Hints on the use of coloured crayons, water colours, oil colours, black and white chalks, black-lead pencil
- London : Published by the author, 30, Clifton Road, Abbey Road, St. John's Wood, 
- Physical Description:
- 48 p. : ill. ; 19 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND1500 .H3713 1880Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Printed by Adams and Gee, Middle Street, Cloth Fair, London.
Date of publication from NSTC.
British Museum. General catalogue of printed books to 1955 (compact edition), v. 9, p. 250, 949
Includes "Index of the must useful tints", a hand-colored frontispiece.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound with: Practical manual of painting, by Ernest Hareux. Second edition. (London : G. Rowney And Company, [between 1880 and1895]), and four other titles. The volume is inscribed: Enid Coombes: A present from her father. Also signed in ms below the above inscription: Mary Russell, Kathleen Russell.
- Subject Terms:
- Adams and Gee -- Printer.Artists' materials -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Color -- Study and teaching.Coombes, Enid -- Pres. inscription from her father.Drawing -- Study and teaching.Drawing -- Technique.Drawing books -- Specimens.Fielding, Newton, 1797-1856 -- Publisher.Lithography -- Specimens -- 1856.Russell, Kathleen -- Provenance.Russell, Mary -- Provenance.
- Drawing books -- England -- 19th century.
YCBA Collections Search
Fielding, Newton Limbird Smith, 1799-1856, What to sketch with, or, Hints on the use of coloured crayons, water colours, oil colours, black and white chalks, black-lead pencil , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.