Speculi Britanniae pars : a topographical and historical description of Cornwall : with a map of the County and each hundred; in which are contained the names and seats of the several gentlemen then inhabitants, as also, thirteen views of the remarkable curiosities in that county / by the perambulation, view, and delineation of John Norden ; to which are added, The west prospect of the some-time Conventual Church of St. Germans ; and a table of the distances of the towns from each other ; with some account of the author.
- London : Printed by William Pearson, for the editor, and sold by Christopher Bateman, 1728.
- Physical Description:
- , 104 p.,  leaves of plates : ill., maps (some folded) ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.C8 N6 1728+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Norden's maps of Cornwall are the first in English topography to show roads. Cf. Upcott.
May have been issued with Original letters relating to the hospitals in the diocese of Exeter, 1728? (ESTC T95196).
Engraved vignette on t.p.
Some maps on double leaves.
English short title catalogue, T127847
Upcott, W. English topography, 79
BAC: British Art Center copy is one of four copies printed on parchment. Bound in gilt-tooled brown morocco, doublures with wide tulip-roll border enclosing a central rectangle of gilt rules and blind rolls intersected by triangles with foliate tooling, gilt edges. Signed: Bound by Hering [i.e. Charles Hering?]. Has bound with it: Original letters relating to the Hospitals in the diocese of Exeter / communicated at the instance of Seth [Ward] Lord Bishop of that See. [London, 1728?].
- Subject Terms:
- Bateman, Christopher -- Bookseller.Cornwall (England : County) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Cornwall (England : County) -- Historical geography -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Cornwall (England : County) -- History -- Early works to 1800.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1728.Hering, Charles, 1762 or 3-1815 -- Binder.Pearson, William -- Printer.
- Vellum printings (Printing)
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.