Hortus ericaeus woburnensis, or, A catalogue of heaths, in the collection of the Duke of Bedford, at Woburn Abbey : alphabetically and systematically arranged.
- Additional Title(s):
Hortus ericaeus woburnensis
Catalogue of heaths
- [London : Printed by J. Moyes], MDCCCXXV 
- Physical Description:
- xiv, , 42 p.,  leaves of plates : ill., plans ; 32 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQL261.E7 S56 1825+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- By George Sinclair. Wrongly attributed by Pritzel to John Forbes.
Introduction by John Russell, Duke of Bedford.
With two lithographed views of the heath house by Agostino Aglio.
"It is universally acknowledged that the genus comprised in the following Catalogue requires a free exposure to the influence of light and air; and I therefore suggested a due attention to a circumstance of so much importance to the health and vigour of the plants, to my Architect, Mr. Jeffry Wyatt, [i.e. Sir Jeffry Wyatville], who gave me a plan for a Heath-house ..."--Introduction.
"As so many mistakes and perplexities arise with regard to the colours of plants, the same plant being frequently described under different denominations of colours by different nursery gardeners or draughtsmen, I have added, as an Appendix to the Catalogue, a Diagram of Colours, executed by that able artist Mr. George Hayter."--Introduction. Hayter's letter to the Duke, explaining the color scheme, is printed on pages 39-42 and is accompanied by two color scales containing 132 tints, both finely handcolored. Cf. DNB, IX, pp.303-304 for Hayter and his classification of color.
Imprint from colophon.
Two two engraved plans are printed on double leaves.
Title page is engraved.
DNB, v. 12, p. 294
"Books quoted": p. [xvi].
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in original boards. Ms inscription on recto of first free end paper: To the Hon. Mr. Bennet from his affectionate uncle. Bedford. Further information from bookseller placed in object file.
"This catalogue of heaths is divided into two parts: in the first, the different species of the genus are arranged in alphabetical order; and in the second, the species are grouped and divided according to their natural affinities [i.e. on the shape of the blossom]"--Preface.
- Subject Terms:
- Bedford, John Russell, Duke of, 1766-1839 -- Pres. inscription to Mr. Bennett.Bedford, John Russell, Duke of, 1766-1839.Bennett, Mr. -- Pres. inscription from John Russell, Duke of Bedford.Botany -- Great Britain.Color guides.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1825.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1825.Ericaceae.Greenhouses -- Design and construction.Lithography -- Specimens -- 1825.Moyes, J. -- Printer.Woburn Abbey.Wyatville, Jeffry, Sir, 1776-1840.
- Aquatints -- 1825.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Sinclair, George, 1786-1834, Hortus ericaeus woburnensis, or, A catalogue of heaths, in the collection of the Duke of Bedford, at Woburn Abbey , MDCCCXXV