The English entomologist : exhibiting all the coleopterous insects found in England : exhibiting all the coleopterous insects found in England, including upwards of 500 different specials, the figures of which have never before been given to the public : the whole accurately drawn & painted after nature / arranged and named according to the Linnean system by Thomas Martyn.
- [London] : His Academy for Illustrating and Painting Natural History, No. 10 Great Marlborough Street, London, MDCCXCII [1792, i.e. 1793]
- Physical Description:
- , 33, , 41,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 35 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQL591.G7 M38 1793+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- "From the Shakspeare Press, by W. Bulmer & Co."--P. 33, 2nd count.
Apparently a reissue of the English-text edition of 1792, with the addition of the dedication and the French text.
Each part with a separate engraved t.p and separate pagination. Engraved t.p. signed: Tomkins [Charles Tomkins?] scr.; Vincent scu.
Dedication dated March 21, 1793.
English short title catalogue, T80793
Freeman, R.B. British natural history books, 1495-1900, p. 236-237
With two engraved plates of medals.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in gilt red morocco.
- Subject Terms:
- Academy for Illustrating and Painting Natural History -- Publisher.Beetles -- Great Britain.Beetles -- Identification -- Early works to 1800.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1793.Entomology -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Fattorini, Hugh -- Bookplate.Insects in art -- Early works to 1800.Natural history -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Stipple engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1793.W. Bulmer and Co. -- Printer.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Martyn, Thomas, fl. 1760-1816, The English entomologist , MDCCXCII [1792, i.e. 1793]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.