Burgess, James, 18th cent, The lives of the most eminent modern painters, who have lived since, or were omitted by Mons. De Piles , 1754
The lives of the most eminent modern painters, who have lived since, or were omitted by Mons. De Piles / by J.B.
- London : Printed for T. Payne, 1754.
- Physical Description:
- , 140,  p. ; 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND1130 .P8Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN 1986 194: Beinecke copy has pagination: , 140 p. (with index bound after preface). With: The art of painting, with the lives and characters of above 300 of the most eminent painters / translated from the French of Monsieur de Piles ... London : Printed for T. Payne, [1754?]
BEIR Jdb11 P642 708Gd : No. 2 of 2 titles bound together. Armorial bookplate of J.C. Mansel-Pleydell. Bookplate of E.W. Manwaring.
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 has the autograph of William Martin. Copy 2 is bound with The art of painting / Roger de Piles. London, 1754 [ND1130.P65 1754]. Contains ms notations.
Final 4 p. (index) signalled after preface, but have publisher's list on last p., not as signalled; p. 3 of this group signalled to introduce text.
- Subject Terms:
- Mansel-Pleydell, J. C. (John Clavell), 1817-1902 -- Bookplate.Manwaring, Elizabeth Wheeler, b. 1879 -- Bookplate.Painters -- Biography.
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.