The Victorian illustrated book , c2002
- The Victorian illustrated book / edited by Richard Maxwell.
- Charlottesville : University Press of Virginia, c2002.
- Physical Description:
- xxx, 440 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Reference LibraryNC978 .V53 2002 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Walter Scott, historical fiction, and the genesis of the Victorian illustrated book / Richard Maxwell -- Illustrations of time: watches, dials, and clocks in Victorian pictures / Steven Dillon -- Serial illustration and storytelling in David Copperfield / Robert L. Patten -- Maps and metaphors: topographical representation and the sense of place in late-Victorian fiction / Simon Joyce -- Literal illustration in Victorian print / Herbert F. Tucker -- William Morris before Kelmscott: poetry and design in the 1860s / Elizabeth K. Helsinger -- Beyond reading: Kelmscott and the modern / Jeffrey Skoblow -- Aubrey Beardsley "embroiders" the literary text / Nicholas Frankel -- Alvin Langdon Coburn's frontispieces to Henry James's New York edition: pictures of an institutional imaginary / Charles Harmon -- City scenes: commerce, utopia, and the birth of the picture book / Katie Trumpener -- Afterword: the destruction, rebirth, and apotheosis of the Victorian illustrated book / Richard Maxwell.
- Subject Terms:
- Illustration of books -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Illustration of books, Victorian -- Great Britain.