Museums and modernity : art galleries and the making of modern culture / Nick Prior.
- Additional Title(s):
Art galleries and the making of modern culture
- New York, NY : Berg, 2002.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 258 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Reference LibraryN1010 P75 2002 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 219-245) and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Art and state -- Europe.Art and state -- Great Britain.Art museums -- Europe -- History.Art museums -- Great Britain -- History.
- Part I museums and modernity in Europe and England
- From court to state: the emergence of national art museums in continental Europe
- 'the peculiarities of the English': the formation of the National Gallery, London
- Part II art, society and the birth of the National Gallery of Scotland
- Stirrings of the modern: art, civil society and the Scottish Enlightenment
- The birth of the National Gallery of Scotland, 1800-59
- The high within and the low without: the social production of aesthetic space in the National Gallery of Scotland, 1859-70.