Reinventing the wheel : volvelles, equatoria, planispheres, fact-finders, gestational charts ... / Jessica Helfand.
- 1st ed.
- New York : Princeton Architectural Press, c2002.
- Physical Description:
- 158 p. : col. ill. ; 25 cm.
- Reference LibraryN7431.5 .H45 2002 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email firstname.lastname@example.org]Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7431.5 .H45 2002+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Gift of Jessica Helfand, Yale BA 1982, MFA 1989View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "A Winterhouse Edition."
Includes bibliographical references (p. 158-159).
AOB: From the Volvelle Collection.
BAC: British Art Center copy in publisher's original illustrated paper covers.
"As inventive as they are instructive, information wheels--or volvelles--have been used since the fourteenth century to measure, record, predict, and calculate everything from time and space to military history and recipes ... Designer and critic Jessica Helfand offers an in-depth look at these unique artifacts, which are not only clever and amusing ... but, Helfand argues, relevant as a model for modern interactive design."--Publisher's blurb.
- Subject Terms:
- Circle in art.Helfand, Jessica -- Ownership.Wheels in art.
- Rotation: a brief history of the wheel
- Iteration: circular ephemera & the new century
- Speculation: modern revolutions.