The lives of the most eminent English poets : with critical observations on their works / by Samuel Johnson : in four volumes.
- Additional Title(s):
Lives of the poets
- London : Printed for C. Bathurst ... [and 35 others], 1781.
- Physical Description:
- 4 v. : port. ; 22 cm. (8vo)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR553 J63 1781Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- BEIN 1986 646 copy 1: Imperfect: front. (port.) wanting.
BEIN 1986 646 copy 2: At end of v. 4 is bound "The principal additions and corrections in the third edition of Dr. Johnson's Lives of the poets; collected to complete the second edition" (half title + p. 507-534).
BEIN 1980 78: Imperfect: Vol. 4, p. 505 and final leaf of v. 4 bearing four printed labels wanting. Frontispiece without publisher's imprint. Vol. 3 is apparently a mixture of the sheets of 1781 ed. and the 1783 ed.; v. 4 has t.p. and contents of the 1781 ed., followed by the sheets of the 1791 ed.--Cf. notes by H.W. Liebert in vertical Bibl. file. Bookplates of George Mace and Thomas Battersbee.
SML Ib55 f779bh: Imperfect: Vol. 4, p. 505 wanting.
BEIN Im J637 779k Copy 1: Uncut, in original boards, with printed labels. Bookplate of Arthur M. Brown.
BEIN Im J637 779k Copy 2: Frontispiece with publisher's imprint. Uncut, in original boards, with printed labels.
BEIN 2000 2868: Vol. 4, p. 505 wanting. Autograph and Ms. notes of H.L. Thrale. Bookplates of William Harris Arnold and Jerome Kern. Binder's ticket: James Mcdonald Co. From the library of Herman W. Liebert.
Illustration by Thomas Trotter; after Sir Joshua Reynolds.
English short title catalogue, T146734
Tinker Library, 1365
Fleeman, J.D. Johnson, 79.4LP/5
Advertisement: v. 4, p. 505.
- Subject Terms:
- Arnold, William Harris, 1854-1923 -- Bookplate.Bathurst, C. -- Publisher.Battersbee, Thomas -- Bookplate.Brown, Arthur M. -- Bookplate.English poetry -- 18th century -- History and criticism.English poetry -- Early modern, 1500-1700 -- History and criticism.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1781.James Mcdonald Co. -- Binding.Kern, Jerome, 1885-1945 -- Bookplate.Liebert, Herman W. -- Ownership.Mace, George -- Bookplate.Monso, James -- Autograph.Piozzi, Hester Lynch, 1741-1821 -- Autograph.Piozzi, Hester Lynch, 1741-1821 -- Ms. notes.Poets, English -- Biography.
- Annotations (Provenance) -- 18th century.
Binders (Binding) -- James Mcdonald Co.
- v. 1. Cowley ; Denham ; Milton ; Butler ; Rochester ; Roscommon ; Otway ; Waller ; Pomfret ; Dorset ; Stepney ; Philips ; Walsh
- v. 2. Dryden ; Smith ; Duke ; King ; Sprat ; Halifax ; Parnell ; Garth ; Rowe ; Addison ; Hughes ; Sheffield
- v. 3. Prior ; Congreve ; Blackmore ; Fenton ; Gay ; Granville ; Yalden ; Tickell ; Hammond ; Somervile ; Savage ; Swift ; Broome
- v. 4. Pope ; Pitt ; Thomson ; Watts ; A. Philips ; West ; Collins ; Dyer ; Shenstone ; Young ; Waller ; Akenside ; Gray ; Lyttelton.