Walsh, Thomas, fl. 1801, Journal of the late campaign in Egypt , 1803
- Journal of the late campaign in Egypt : including descriptions of that country, and of Gibralter, Minorca, Malta, Marmorice, and Macri : with an appendix, containing official papers and documents / by Thomas Walsh, Captain in His Majesty's ninety-third regiment of foot, aide-de-camp to Major-General Sir Eyre Coots, K. B. and K.c. M. P. &c. ; illustrated by numerous engravings of antiquities, views, costumes, plans, positions, &c.
- London : Printed by Luke Hansard, for T. Cadell, Jun. and W. Davies, in the Strand, 1803.
- Physical Description:
- viii, , 261, , *145,  p., 49 [i.e.41] leaves of plates ( folded) : ill., maps (some col.) ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDC225 .W35 1803+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Engravings by Samuel John Neele, after Thomas Walsh.
Maps printed by A. Arrowsmith and Cadell & Davies.
"This is the second edition, the first was published in 1801, and there were at least two more editions. The book was published in French, Paris, 1823."--Abbey.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 266
List of subscribers: p. -.
Directions to the binder for placing the plates: p. -
"Appendix, containing original and authentic papers and documents relative to the campaign"--, *145 p. at end.
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in contemporary half-calf with marbled boards. Bookplate: Lord Vivian.
- Subject Terms:
- Arrowsmith, A. -- Printer.Cadell & Davies -- Printer.Egypt -- History -- French occupation, 1798-1801.French -- Egypt -- History -- 19th century.Gibraltar -- Description and travel.Great Britain -- History, Military -- 19th century.Hansard, Luke -- Printer.Malta -- Description and travel.Mediterranean Sea -- Description and travel.Minorca -- Description and travel.Napoleonic Wars, 1800-1815 -- Campaign -- Egypt.T. Cadell, Jun. and W. Davies -- Publisher.Vivian, Lord -- Bookplate
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1803.
Engravings -- 1803.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.