Journal of a voyage to New South Wales : with sixty-five plates of non descript animals, birds, lizards, serpents, curious cones of trees and other natural productions / by John White, esqre., surgeon general to the settlement.
- London : Printed for J. Debrett, Piccadilly, MDCCXC 
- Physical Description:
- , 299,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 30 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQH197 .S45 1790+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 605
BEIN: Beinecke copy has hand-colored plates. (1987 +120)
Engravings after Sarah Stone, Frederick Polydore Nodder, E. Kennion, Charles Catton, and Mortimer.
The final 20 leaves contain "A diary of the winds, weather, temperature of the air, &c. .. in a voyage to Port Jackson, New South Wales" with a divisional title page, separate register, and two final leaves of advertisements
Engraved title page, with vignette.
English short title catalogue, T113529
With a list of subscribers.
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. A later issue. Page number for no. 3 in the List of plates given correctly as 237. Lacks two final advertisement leaves. Bound in 19th century brown morocco, gilt panel and border; signed: J. Jones, Bookbinder. Armorial book-plate of the Earl of Derby.
- Subject Terms:
- Derby, Earl of -- Bookplate.Goldsmid, Benjamin, 1753?-1808.Jones, J. -- Bookbinder.Natural history -- Australia -- New South Wales.New South Wales -- Discovery and exploration.Ornithological illustration -- Australia.Scientific expeditions -- Australia -- New South Wales.Voyages and travels.Women artists -- England.Zoological illustration -- Australia.
- Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1790.
Engravings -- 1790.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
Subscriber's lists -- England -- London -- 1790.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
White, John, active 1757-1759, Journal of a voyage to New South Wales , MDCCXC 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.