Godby, J. (James), active 1798-1812, Italian scenery , 1823
- Italian scenery : representing the manners, customs, and amusements of the different states of Italy / containing thirty-two coloured engravings by James Godby, from original drawings by P. van Lerberghi ; the narrative by M. Buonaiuti.
- London : Printed for T. MʻLean by Howlett and Brimmer, 1823.
- Physical Description:
-  p,  leaves of plates : ill., music ; 39 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDG449 .G63 1823+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN 2005 Folio 151: Imperfect: plates XI and XVIII wanting.
Text in English and French.
A larger edition of this title was originally published by Orme in 1806. (Abbey, Travel 164).
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 169
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in contemporary gilt-tooled green morocco.
- The Lazzaronis -- Dance of the Lazzaroni children -- Neopolitans eating macaroni -- The fishmonger -- A Callessino, or Hackney Chaise -- Dance of the Tarantella -- Playing at the Ring -- Washing-place at Torre del Greco -- Country eating house -- Hermitage of Capua -- Fountain of Capua -- Interior of a House at Fondi -- The Roman family and the Temple of Minerva Medica -- The Fish Market at Rome, and Portico of Octavia -- The Game of Bumble-Puppy, and the Temple of Vesta -- Street Singers -- Protestant Church-yard at Rome, with the Pyramid of Caius Cestius -- A Fountain near Rome -- The Capuchin -- A direction post in the highway near Rome -- Confessional of Albano -- The Vintage -- The Temple of Hercules at Cori -- The Game of Mora -- A Piedmontese Dance -- The Fountain of Mosso -- The Travelling Tinker -- The Catechism -- The Miners of Frisante -- A Country Inn in Piedmont -- The Young Savoyard's Departure -- The Young Savoyard's Return.
- Subject Terms:
- Costume -- Italy.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1823.Italy -- Pictorial works.Italy -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.McLean, Thomas -- Publisher.Stipple engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1823.
- Hand-colored illustrations.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.