Romola / by George Eliot ; with illustrations by Sir Frederick Leighton ; in two volumes.
- London : Smith, Elder and Co., 1880.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR4668 A1 1880+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Gift of David and Judith RossView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- BEIN 1987 +163 Copy 1: Leaf with limited edition statement wanting. Author's presentation inscription to Charles Lee and Gertrude Lewes, dated 1880.
BEIN 1987 +163 Copy 2: Copy number 494.
BEIN 2005 +245: Copy number 335. Printed label and armorial bookplate of Isabel Clayton. Armorial bookplate of N.G. Clayton. Bookplate of W.F. Hopson. Shelf label.
Wood engravings by W.J. Linton and Joseph Swain.
Printed by R. Clay, Sons, and Taylor, Bread Street Hill.
"Only one thousand copies of this edition has been printed for sale. This copy is number [blank]"--Leaf preceding half title.
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 211 of a limited edition of 1,000 copies. Inscribed: To "Romolo and Tito," in token of admiration and affection, from W.J. Rolfe. April 24, 1897. Label pasted to bottom of second free endpaper: This book was formerly the property of Julia Marlow Sothern and was purchased at Silo's on October 31, 1940; the number was 204.
- Subject Terms:
- Clayton, Isabel -- Bookplate.Clayton, N. G. -- Bookplate.Eliot, George, 1819-1880 -- Presentation inscription to G. & C.L. Lewes.Hopson, William Fowler, 1849-1935 -- Bookplate.Lewes, Charles Lee, 1842-1891 -- Presentation inscription from G. Eliot.Lewes, Gertrude -- Presentation inscription from G. Eliot.R. Clay, Sons, and Taylor -- Printer.Rolfe, W.J. -- Pres. insc to Romolo and Tito, April 24, 1897.Romolo and Tito -- Pres. insc. from W. J. Rolfe, April 24, 1897.Ross, David and Judith -- ProvenanceSavonarola, Girolamo, 1452-1498 -- Fiction.Smith, Elder and Co. -- Publisher.Sothern, Julia Marlow -- Provenance.
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance).
Wood engravings -- 1880.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.