Alken, Henry Thomas, 1784-1851, Moments of fancy and whim , 1823
- Moments of fancy and whim / by Henry Alken.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Moments of fancy
- London : Thomas M'Lean, Repository of Wit and Humour, 1823.
- Physical Description:
- 14 leaves of plates : col. ill. ; 29 x 44 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 57 Copy 3Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Scenes depicting humorous sporting and domestic incidents.
Title from cover.
The plates have running title: Moments of fancy.
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1979 ed.), 40.
Van Devanter, W. Checklist of books illustrated by Henry Alken, 48
Siltzer, F. Story of British sporting prints (2nd ed), p. 71
BAC: British Art Center copy is part of a compilation of titles by Henry Alken issued by his publisher T. McLean with the title British sportsman's vade mecum. Bound in gilt-tooled brown calf. Plates mounted.
- A phaeton and four -- Not a bit of fancy -- Real English fancy -- A fancy man -- Past consideration -- Got an engagement -- There is a pleasure in being mad -- A day nurse -- Who would bear the many shocks that flesh is heir to -- How dangerous it is, that this man goes loose -- No fancy for a waggon -- Playing at soldiers -- As the things used to be done -- Good for neither or the other.
- Subject Terms:
- English wit and humor, Pictorial.Flick, Reuben Jay -- Bookplate.M'Lean, Thomas -- Publisher.Regency -- England.Satire, English.
- Hand-colored illustrations.
Soft-ground etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1823.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.