The songs of foxhunting : a collection of words and music which for over two centuries foxhunters have loved to sing, celebrating the exploits of hounds, horses and horsemen in the hunting field, with seventy-seven illustrations / by Alexander Mackay-Smith.
- 1st ed.
- Millwood, Va. : American Foxhound Club, 1974.
- Physical Description:
- xxv, 184 p. : ill. (some col.), facsims., ports. ; 32 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSporting 1398Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Music (printed)
- BEIN: Beinecke library copy is one of an edition of 1500. (1986 +144)
BAC: British Art Center copy: Imitation red morocco; gold lettering on front cover, black leather label on spine. Color frontispiece, illustrations. Inscribed by the author to Mr. Mellon. Typed letter from author to Mr. Mellon inside front cover. Number 125 of 1500 copies. Spine height: 12 3/4 inches.
Includes bibliographical references.
- Subject Terms:
- Fox hunting -- Songs and music.Hunting songs -- England.MacKay-Smith, Alexander -- Autograph.
- The fox chace or The huntsman's harmony.--The famous ballad of the Badsworth hunt or The most excellent fox chase.--The huntsman's rouse.--A-hunting we will go or The dusky night.--The Kilruddery hunt.--The hunting of Arscott of Tetcott.--Young bucks a-hunting go.--Steepleford hunting song.--Holmbank hunting song.--Beau Reynolds.--A southerly wind and a cloudy sky or The fox chace.--Reynard the fox, with his last will and testament.--Hunting song of Mr. Meynell's time.--The Billesdown Coplow run.--Rouse, boys, rouse!--John Peel.--Here's a health to every sportsman.--The hunting day.--Drink, puppy, drink!--The fox.