Hyperion : a romance / by Henry W. Longfellow ; illustrated with twenty-four photographs of the Rhine, Switzerland, and the Tyrol, by Francis Frith.
- London : Alfred William Bennett, 5, Bishopsgate Without, MDCCCLXV 
- Physical Description:
- x, , 270,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPS2273 .H97 1865Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Printed by Gresham Steam Press.
The plates are mounted photographs (albumen prints) with letterpress captions each with a tissue guard.
Title-page printed in blue and red within double rule border.
Gernsheim, H. Incunabula of British photographic literature, 268
McLean, R. Victorian publishers' book-binding in cloth and leather, p. 113
Masterpieces of Victoria photography, 1840-1900, 439
Armstrong, C. Scenes in a library, p. 284
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's gilt- and blind-stamped red cloth, with gilt edges. Binding signed: JL [John Leighton]. Binder's label: Bound by Westleys. Bookplate: R H L C de Beaumont.
- Subject Terms:
- Alfred William Bennett -- Publisher.Beaumont, R H L C de -- Bookplate.Europe -- Description and travel -- Fiction.Gresham Steam Press -- Printer.Leighton, John -- Bookbinding designer.Photography -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Westley's -- Binder.
YCBA Collections Search
Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth, 1807-1882, Hyperion , MDCCCLXV 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.