The science of gems, jewels, coins, and medals, ancient and modern / by Archibald Billing, M.D. A.M. F.R.S. F.R.G.S. F.R.M.S. Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians ; Member of the Senate of the University of London ; Honorary and corresponding member of the medical societies of Florence, Brussels, Dresden, and New York ; formerly professor of clinical medicine and of the theory and practice in the school of medicine, and physician, of the London Hospital; examiner in medicine in the University of London ; President of the Hunterian Society ; Vice-President of the Royal Medical and Chirurgical Society, Etc. author of "First principles of Medicine;" "Practical observations on diseases of the lungs and heart;" "On the treatment of Asiatic Cholera," etc.
- London : Bell & Daldy, York Street, Covent Garden; J. Mitchell, Bond Street, Publisher to Her Majesty, MDCCCLXVII 
- Physical Description:
- xi, , 221,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNK5525 .B55 1867Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "Photographs by F. Cole, Brompton."--Verso of half-title.
Printed by Levey and Co., Printers, Great New Street, Fetter Lane, E. C.
The plates are mounted photographs.
Gernsheim, H. Incunabula of British photographic literature, 386
Appendix: Autobiography of Pistrucci. Translated by Mrs. Billings: p. -211.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Publisher's advertisement:  p. at end.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in gilt-stamped blue publisher's binding. Sepia photograph laid down in sunken recess on front cover. Title in gilt medallion on back cover. Binder's ticket: Burn & Co.. Bookplate: T. H. B.
- Subject Terms:
- Bell & Daldy -- PublisherBurn & Co. -- BookbinderGems.Levey & Co. -- PrinterMedalists -- Italy -- Biography.Numismatics.Pistrucci, Benedetto, 1784-1855.T. H. B. -- Bookplate
- Wood engravings -- 1867.
YCBA Collections Search
Billing, Archibald, 1791-1881, The science of gems, jewels, coins, and medals, ancient and modern , MDCCCLXVII 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.