Thacker, Christopher, Building towers, forming gardens , 2002
- Building towers, forming gardens : landscaping by Hamilton, Hoare and Beckford / Christopher Thacker.
- London : St. Barnabas Press, 2002.
- Physical Description:
- 126 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Reference LibrarySB457.54 .T43 2002 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.Rare Books and ManuscriptsMSS 17 Moss no. 139Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Roger W. MossAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsMSS 17 Moss no. 140Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Related Content:
- View finding aid for the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith
- "Whilst the gardens at Painshill and Stourhead are amongst the most admired in England, the landscapes at Fonthill are known only to a few; and yet it was William Beckford's immense creation here that in its time generated the most fervent curiosity. But much of his inspiration came from the earlier vision of Charles Hamilton and Henry Hoare, and it is the complex connections between these men and Alderman Beckford, William's father, that this book unravels."--Back cover (paperback edition).
"Designed by Humphrey Stone and printed by BAS Printers, Ltd., Over Wallop, Stockbridge, Hampshire. Limited edition of 150 copies ... signed on the half title page by Richard Shirley Smith. A set of the four engravings [1989; Bain nos. 285-288] signed and numbered 71/150 contained in a chemise. Color reproductions of four commissioned illustrations by Shirley Smith tipped in. Endpapers reproduce the 1823 map of the Fonthill estate. Bound in patterned yellow book cloth designed by Shirley Smith."--Moss.
Moss, R.W. Richard Shirley Smith, 139
Moss, R.W. Richard Shirley Smith, 140
Bain, I. Wood engravings of Richard Shirley Smith, 285-288
Includes bibliographical references and index.
BAC: British Art Center MSS 17 139 is no. 71 of the 150 copies of the limited edition, with the four signed and numbered engravings by Shirley Smith. Bound in publisher's original yellow book cloth.
BAC: British Art Center MSS 17 140 is the paperback edition. Without the color reproductions tipped in to the limited edition, one of which is reproduced here on the publisher's original illustrated wrappers. Signed by Richard Shirley Smith on the half title.
BAC: From the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith.
- Subject Terms:
- Beckford, William, 1760-1844.Gardens -- England -- History -- 18th century.Hamilton, Charles, 1704-1786.Hoare, Henry, 1705-1785.Landscape design -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century.St. Barnabus Press -- Publisher.
- Wood engravings -- 2002.