Aesop's fables : a new version, chiefly from original sources / by Rev. Thomas James, M.A., Vicar of Sibbertoft and Theddingworth, and chaplain to the Lord Bishop of Bath and Wells ; with more than 50 illustrations designed by John Tenniel.
- Additional Title(s):
Aesop's fables. English.
- Philadelphia : Porter & Coates, 
- Physical Description:
- , xviii, 224 p. : ill. ; 20 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPA3855.E5 J36 1848Yale Center for British Art, Gift of David and Judith RossView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Wood engravings by John D. Felter, W. Howland, John William Orr, and J.W. Orr & Andrew (Firm).
Preface dated 1848.
Some fables accompanied by engraved vignettes.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in gilt- and black-stamped green publisher's cloth. Ms inscription "No. 141." on both front and rear pastedowns. "Ross' also inscribed on recto of second free end-paper.
- Subject Terms:
- Aesop's fables -- Illustrations.Animals -- Folklore.Fables, English -- Translations from Greek.Fables, Greek -- Translations into English.Ross, David and Judith -- Provenance.
- Wood engravings -- .
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.