Patronage of British art : an historical sketch : comprising an account of the rise and progress of art and artists in London, from the beginning of the reign of George the Second : together with a history of the Society for the management and distribution of the artists' fund, from its establishment in 1810, to its incorporation in 1827 : illustrated with notes, historical, biographical, and explanatory / by John Pye ...
- London : Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1845.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 422 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN6764 .P9 1845 Copy 1View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsN6764 .P9 1845 Copy 2View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Engravings by J.H. Robinson andr B.P. Gibbon; after John Samuel Agar, Francis Chantrey, Abraham Cooper, Andrew Morton, and William Mulready.
Printed by Moyes and Barclay.
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is extra-illustrated with 13 leaves of newspaper clippings about John Pye, and with an ALS from John Pye to John Martin, bound in before p. 21; additional plates also bound in. Also has bound with it: Revival of vandalism at the National Gallery ... by Morris Moore (London : John Ollivier, 1853).
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in publisher's green cloth. Publisher's advertisements:  p. at end.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Great Britain.Art patronage -- Great Britain.Longman, Brown, Freen, and Longmans -- Publisher.Moyes and Barclay -- Printer.Society for the Management and Distribution of the Artists' Fund (London, England)
- Engravings -- 1845.
Wood engravings -- 1845.
Publishers' advertisements -- England -- London -- 1853.
Extra-illustrated copies (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.