History of the Indian tribes of North America : with biographical sketches and anecdotes of the principal chiefs ; embellished with one hundred and twenty portraits, from the Indian Gallery in the Department of War, at Washington / by Thomas L. McKenney and James Hall; in three volumes.
- Philadelphia : J.T. Bowen, 1848 [i.e., 1847]-1850.
- Physical Description:
- 30 parts : col. ports. ; 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsIn Process E77.M35 H57 1847+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN Zc12 +836mab Copy 1: Imperfect: parts 1-22 only. Bound in two vols. with the 22 original front wrappers and two back wrappers bound in at end.
BEIN Zc12 +836mab Copy 2: Imperfect: part 16 wanting. Original wrappers. Autograph on 17 of the front wrappers: R.M. Strattan, 242 Water Street. Bookplate of Paul Mellon. Ms. contract between Thomas L. McKenney and J.T. Bowen removed and added to Western Americana MS. file.
Issued in printed and dated wrappers from 1847-1850. Volume title pages and preliminaries for three vols. at end, respectively, of vols. 10, 22, 30.
First edition published 1836-1844.
BAC: British Art Center copy: Octavo edition. 30 original parts. Original printed wrapper. Color plates. Spine height: 11 inches. In 1/4 red-brown morocco box-case, ht: 13 inches (on spine: INDIAN TRIBES OF NORTH AMERICA McKENNEY AND HALL 30 ORIGINAL PARTS PHILADELPHIA 1847-50). Abbey Americana.
- Subject Terms:
- Indians of North America -- Biography.Indians of North America -- History.Indians of North America -- Portraits.Mellon, Paul -- Bookplate.Strattan, Robert M. -- Autograph.
YCBA Collections Search
McKenney, Thomas Loraine, 1785-1859, History of the Indian tribes of North America , 1848 [i.e., 1847]-1850
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.