Malton, James, d. 1803, The young painter's maulstick , 1800
- The young painter's maulstick : being a practical treatise on perspective : containing rules and principles for delineation on planes : treated so as to render the art of drawing correctly easy of attainment even to common capacities : and entertaining at the same time, from its truth and facility : founded on the clear mechanical process of Vignola and Sirigatti, united with the theoretic principles of the celebrated Dr. Brook Taylor : addressed to students in drawing / by James Malton, architect and draftsman.
- London : Printed by J. Barfield, No. 91, Wardour Street; and published for the author by Carpenter and Co., Old Bond-Street, 1800.
- Physical Description:
- , ii, xiv, 71,  p., 23 leaves of plates ( folded) : ill. ; 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC749 .M35 1800+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC749 .M35 1800+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Printed by S. Gosnell, Printer, Little Queen Street, Holborn.
British Architectural Library suggests that there exists at least two variant states of the title page. One is "Printed by J. Barfield, No. 91, Wardour Street ..." and the other one is "Printed by V. Griffiths, No. 1, Paternoster Row ...". The watermark in the plates of the Abbey copy is 1803 which suggests that the Barfield imprint may represent a latter issue, with reprinted plates and a cancel title leaf.
Woodcut diagrams within text throughout.
Paging of plates: 1-4, V, VI, 7-9, X, 11, XII, XIII, 14, XV, XVII, 18, XIX, XX, 21, XXII, 23.
Abbey, J.R. Life, 152
Archer, J. British domestic architecture, 198.1
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 2019
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Both copies are large paper copies, plates VI and 14 with moveable slips.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Barfield, J. -- Printer.Carpenter & Co. -- Publisher.Drawing -- Technique.Drawing books -- Specimens.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1800.Gosnell, S. -- Printer.Perspective -- Technique.Woodcut -- Specimens -- 1800.
- Drawing books.
Aquatints -- 1800.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.