Whistler, women, & fashion / Margaret F. MacDonald, Susan Grace Galassi & Aileen Ribeiro ; with a contribution by Patricia de Montfort.
- Additional Title(s):
Whistler, women and fashion
- New York : Frick Collection in association with Yale University Press, 2003.
- Physical Description:
- xi, 243 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 29 cm.
- Reference LibraryNJ18.W57 M242 2003 (LC)+ OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Published on the occasion of an exhibition held at the Frick Collection, Apr. 22-July 13, 2003.
Foreword by Samuel Sachs.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 231-236) and index.
This illustrated book and the associated exhibition at the Frick Collection examine Whistler's depiction of women and in particular the aspect of dress and fashion as important elements in his pictures. Several authors apply their talents as historians of art and costume to explore the place of dress in Whistler's oeuvre. Themes treated include Whistler the dandy, Victorian modes of dress, Oriental and Aesthetic Movement influences, female portraiture and the artist/model relationship.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists and models in art.Fashion and art.Whistler, James McNeill, 1834-1903 -- Criticism and interpretation.Whistler, James McNeill, 1834-1903 -- Exhibitions.Whistler, James McNeill, 1834-1903 -- Relations with women.
YCBA Collections Search
MacDonald, Margaret F, Whistler, women, & fashion , 2003