The golden legend.
- Additional Title(s):
Title opposite page 1: Golden legend of Master William Caxton done anew
Golden legend of Master William Caxton
Legenda aurea. English
- Upper Mall, Hammersmith, in the County of Middlesex : Printed by me, William Morris, at the Kelmscott Press, and finished on the 12th day of September in the year 1892.
London : Sold by Bernard Quaritch, 15 Piccadilly, 
- Physical Description:
- 3 volumes (xii, 1286 pages) : illustrations ; 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsBX4654 .J33 1892+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Woodcut illustrations designed by Edward Burne-Jones.
Edited by Frederick S. Ellis.
500 paper copies.
Peterson, W.S. Bibliography of the Kelmscott Press, A7
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary blind- and gilt-tooled olive green goatskin. Bookplate of Gilbert Richard Redgrave. With notes on the binding (1967) by Anthony Gardner at the end of volume 3. Two ALS from Morris tipped in, volume 1. The first dated July 16th. Dear Sir, In answer to your letter ...., and the second, dated Nov. 13, , Dear Mr. Redgrace, Thank you for your letter & its criticism. ...
BAC: British Art Center copy includes two letters (ALS) from William Morris to Gilbert Richard Redgrave (although the first bears no addressee). The first, dated July 16th (1892), appears to concern the price of the present publication; Morris indicates that "the matter is out of my hands, as I am (up to the present) not the publisher, but the printer ... I fear that I can do no more than show Mr. Quaritch your letter ..." The second, dated Nov. 13 (1892) concerns "the proportions of page of print to paper" and "a variation in the paper due to necessity" in the present publication.
- Subject Terms:
- Christian literature, Latin (Medieval and modern) -- Translations into English.Christian saints -- Legends.Gardner, Anthony, b. 1887 -- Bookbinder.Morris, William -- ALS to Gilbert Richard Redgrave, July 16, 1892.Morris, William -- ALS to Gilbert Richard Redgrave, Nov. 13, 1892.Redgrave, Gilbert Richard -- ALS from William Morris, July 16, 1892.Redgrave, Gilbert Richard -- ALS from William Morris, Nov. 13, 1892.Redgrave, Gilbert Richard -- Bookplate.
- Woodcuts -- 1892.
YCBA Collections Search
Jacobus, de Voragine, approximately 1229-1298, The golden legend, and finished on the 12th day of September in the year 1892
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.