The art of painting, in all its branches, methodically demonstrated by discourses and plates, and exemplified by remarks on the paintings of the best masters; and their perfections and oversights laid open. By Gérard de Lairesse. Translated by John Frederick Fritsch ...
- Additional Title(s):
Groot schilderboek. English.
- London: Printed for the author, and sold by J. Brotherton [etc.] 1738.
- Physical Description:
- 1 p.., iv,  654 p. front., LXXI plates (part. fold.) 24 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND1130 L313Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BAC : Head- and tail-pieces; initials.
BAC : There are actually 69 plates: plates II and III, and IV and V are printed on two leaves; there is no plate LVI, although there is a plate LIV* in addition to plate LIV.
Plates by J. Carwitham, after the author.
Translation of Het groot schilderboek.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Early works to 1800.Composition (Art)Painting -- Early works to 1800.Painting -- Technique.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.