The life of Napoleon : a Hudibrastic poem in fifteen cantos / by Doctor Syntax ; embellished with thirty engravings by G. Cruikshank.
- London : Printed for T. Tegg, Wm. Allason ; 1815.
Edinburgh : J. Dick, 1815.
- Physical Description:
- 260 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDC203.4 .L53 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDC203.4 .L53 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Gloria ScheuerView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Frequently attributed to William Combe, but listed as an imitation in: Hamilton, Harlan W. Doctor Syntax. London, 1969.
Printed by Plummer and Brewis, Love Lane, Eastcheap.
Illustrated engraved title page included in leaves of plates.
Page 83 misnumbered p. 88, p. 109 misnumbered 107, p. 113 misnumbered 213, p. 121 misunumbered 211, p. 187 misnumbered 188. Plate at p. 94 should have the word Siege misspelt "Seige of Acre", and on the plate at p. 233 "Leipsic" is misspelt "Liepsic."
Cohn, A.M. George Cruikshank, 153
Hamilton, H.W. Doctor Syntax, p. 318
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 356
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Bound in original pink boards, with printed title label on spine.. Bookplate: R.N.H. Moore. Autograph: N. Holterman.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in gilt-tooled tree. P. 113 correctly numbered.
- Subject Terms:
- Allason, Wm. -- Publisher.Dick, J. -- Publisher.Holterman, N. -- Autograph. (BACRB Copy 1)Moore, R.N.H. -- Bookplate.(BACRB Copy 1)Napoleon I, Emperor of the French, 1769-1821 -- Poetry.Napoleon I, Emperor of the French, 1769-1821 -- Portraits.Plummer and Brewis -- Printer.Scheuer, Gloria -- Provenance.Tegg, T. -- Publisher.
- Poems -- England -- 19th century.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1815.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.