Bizup, Joseph, 1966-, Manufacturing culture , 2003
Manufacturing culture : vindications of early Victorian industry / Joseph Bizup.
- Charlottesville ; University of Virginia Press, 2003.
London : University of Virginia Press, 2003.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 229 p. ; 24 cm.
- Reference LibraryDA533 .B57 2003 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 205-220) and index.
- Subject Terms:
- English literature -- 19th century -- History and criticism.Great Britain -- Civilization -- 19th century.Great Britain -- History -- Victoria, 1837-1901.Great Exhibition (1851 : London, England)Industries -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.Industries in literature.
- Introduction : industry as culture in nineteenth-century Britain
- "One co-operative body" : the rhetoric of the factory system
- "Beautiful combinations" : abstraction and technological beauty in the works of Charles Babbage
- "A debilitated race" : savageness in social investigation and design theory
- "Appropriate beauty" : the work of ornament in the age of mechanical reproduction
- "What you ought to learn" : industrial culture and the Exhibition of 1851
- "Only a machine before" : manliness and mechanism in Ruskin and Morris.