Bovvels opened, or, A discovery of the neare and deare love, union, and communion betwixt Christ and the church, and consequently betwixt him and every beleeving soule : delivered in divers sermons on the fourth, fifth and sixth chapters of the Canticles / by Dr. Sibs ; late preacher unto the honourable society of Grayes-Inne, and master of Katharine Hall in Cambridge ; being in part finished by his owne pen in his life-time and the rest of them perused and corrected by those whom he instructed with the publishing of his works.
- Additional Title(s):
Discovery of the neare and deare love, union, and communion betwixt Christ and the church, and consequently betwixt him and every beleeving soule.
- London : Printed by G.M. for George Edwards in the Old Baily in Greene-Arbour, at the signe of the angell, 1641.
- Physical Description:
- , 74, 71-118, 113-276, 275-282, 285-472,  p. ; 19 cm. (4to)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsBX5133.S52 S2 1641Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Dedication signed: Thomas Goodvvin, Philippvs Nye.
"To the reader" signed: I. Dod.
Printed by George Miller.
Errors in paging: numbers 49-58 and 449-458 omitted; numbers 71-74, 113-118 repeated; 475-476 (i.e. 465-466) numbered 471-472.
With wood-cut initials and head-pieces.
BAC: British Art Center copy lacks all pages after p. 458. Bound in quarter calf, with edges stained red. Has bookplate of the Religious Tract Society Library, 56 Paternoster-Row, London.
- Subject Terms:
- Bible. Song of Solomon IV-VI -- Sermons -- Early works to 1800.Mystical union -- Early works to 1800.Religious Tract Society (Great Britain) -- Bookplatae.Sermons, English -- 17th century.Wood cut -- Specimens -- 1641.
YCBA Collections Search
Sibbes, Richard, 1577-1635, Bovvels opened, or, A discovery of the neare and deare love, union, and communion betwixt Christ and the church, and consequently betwixt him and every beleeving soule , 1641
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.